The InterSystems® JDBC driver supports three lightweight Java APIs that provide direct access to InterSystems IRIS databases via relational tables, objects, or multidimensional storage.
Java features available in InterSystems IRIS include:
- Relational access through the JDBC API
- Object access through the InterSystems XEP API
- Access to multidimensional storage through the InterSystems Native API
- Multi-model access to use multiple APIs together
- Support for third-party APIs such as Hibernate
- An underlying consistent structure, avoiding data duplication
Watch the video, then try the exercise below!
With Java, you can interact with InterSystems IRIS relationally (with JDBC), using objects (with XEP or Hibernate), or natively (with the Native API). In the steps below, you will access a set of sample stock data using each of the ways described.
Start the exercise in one of three ways: